Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Report of Birth Abroad and Derivative Citizenship

The birth of a child abroad to U.S. citizen parent(s) should be reported as soon as possible to the nearest American consular office for the purpose of establishing an official record of the child’s claim to U.S. citizenship at birth. A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is an official record of U.S. citizenship issued to a person under age 18 who was born abroad to United States citizen parent(s) and acquired citizenship at birth. Schools, the Social Security Agency, and other institutions throughout the United States accept it and give it the same credence they give to birth certificates issued by state authorities in the United States.

 NOTE: Only biological children of Americans may qualify for a CRBA. Adoption of a child by an American citizen does not confer U.S. citizenship on the child.  However, adopted children may be eligible for citizenship through naturalization pursuant to a lawful admission into the US as a permanent resident. See the Department of State's Child Citizenship Act of 2000 page for more information.

Only the child's biological parent or legal guardian, preferably the U.S. citizen parent, can apply for a CRBA.  Either parent, including a non-U.S. citizen parent, may execute and sign this application.  If it will be signed and executed by a legal guardian, a special power of attorney from the parent(s) or guardianship affidavit must be submitted.  The application must be made before the child's 18th birthday and the child must make a personal appearance at the U.S. Embassy. Delays in reporting of the birth of your child could cause inconvenience and possibly deprive your child of this valuable document because persons age 18 and over are not eligible for a CRBA. Information for persons over the age of 18 who are attempting to acquire citizenship through their U.S. citizen parent(s) as adults can be found on the Derivative U.S. Citizenship for Adults page. 

For further information, please click on the appropriate links below: